Re: 2 pi i = 0

At 10:03 -0500 22/11/02, Justin Parke wrote:
A student showed me a proof of the relationship 2*pi*i=0 this
morning. The proof went:

e^(2*pi*i)=1

e^0=1

e^(2*pi*i)=e^0

take ln of both sides

2*pi*i = 0

Something seems fishy about this to me. But I don't know what.

Comments?

This posting is the position of the writer, not that of SUNY-BSC,
NAU or the AAPT.

Common mistake, yet clearly wrong: e^(i*x) is periodic, with a period 2*pi.
Hence you could infer for any x that: x=x+2*n*pi with n an integer...
Clearly, you could do the same for the trigonometric functions (sine
and cosine).
Uri

--
Uri Ganiel
The Rudy Bruner Professor of Science Teaching

Tel: 972-8-9343895
FAX: 972-8-9473677
E-Mail: uri.ganiel@weizmann.ac.il