Re: (dv/dt) terminology: opportunity for improvement

I have found that my HS students have a pretty good
sense of negation, and that when a negative sign is
placed before the word "acceleration" they (and I) can
do without the word "deceleration". We just say that
the acceleration is negative sometimes.

I prefer to not introduce new vocabulary when existing
terms suffice. There are already a lot of new terms
in an introductory class.

Matt Jusinski Morris Knolls HS Rockaway, NJ

But again this reveals a possible misconception in the making. Negative
acceleration is NOT slowing down or deceleration. Negative acceleration can
be either slowing down or speeding up depending on the sign of the velocity.
To avoid this very common misconception you have to be very careful, and
have the students do the appropriate labs which dispel it.

Unfortunately just changing a term only gets rid of 1 misconception attached
to that term, while it does little for the many other misconceptions.

I also doubt that most HS students really have a good sense of what negative
means. They will tell you that when a velocity is decreasing from 40m/s to
30m/s that the change in velocity is 10m/s. They do not associate the sign
very well with the idea of change in a quantity. Basically they are
programmed to subtract the second number from the first one just as they did
in grade school, or worse yet always subtracting the smaller number from the
larger one.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX