Re: (dv/dt) terminology: opportunity for improvement

A) In physics, we need a name for the quantity
(dv/dt).
denotes an increase in speed, and that it is the
opposite
of deceleration. This leads to wrong physics
conceptions
in two ways:
-- Speed is a scalar, whereas velocity is a
vector.
-- We don't want two words (acceleration and
deceleration)

I have found that my HS students have a pretty good
sense of negation, and that when a negative sign is
placed before the word "acceleration" they (and I) can
do without the word "deceleration". We just say that
the acceleration is negative sometimes.

I prefer to not introduce new vocabulary when existing
terms suffice. There are already a lot of new terms
in an introductory class.

Matt Jusinski Morris Knolls HS Rockaway, NJ