Re: Line break problem

Regarding Mark L.'s echo of Michael E.'s comments:

So the list-server software used by PHYS-L is
not reacting favorably to "MIME quoted printable" even though some
other list servers handle it just fine. Perhaps Dan can find out
if there is a way to fix that because I am not the only PHYS-L
member to have this problem, although there aren't many of us.

Perhaps there are more of us than you think. Some of us have just
not said anything about it.

Hear. Hear.

I, too, have had the same problem described by Michael & Mark. My
college also is a MS Exchange/Outlook shop that I can't reconfigure
to be compatible with the PHYS-L software. What I do to get around
the unchangable quoted printable default mode of Outlook is to send
my contributions to PHYS-L from a campus unix (er, actually, it's
Linux) machine and use the primitive email client ELM. From there
the mail still goes through the campus MS Exchange mailserver, but it
is at least in pure ASCII going into the campus Exchange server. I
make a point of keeping my lines short enough so that the default
inserted soft returns do not get sent and garbled by the PHYS-L
Listserv software. As long as I terminate all lines with hard
returns and never allow a line to exceed 69 characters, I don't get
those insightly line-ending equal signs (which otherwise come from
the soft returns that get automatically inserted between the 69th
and the 70th characters).

It can be a real pain to reformat my quotes of others so that no
line exceeds 69 characters, as well as to send (via ftp) my
contributions to the Linux machine followed by a telnet
connection into the Linux machine--just to send outbound mail to
PHYS-L.

David Bowman