Joe Heafner wrote:

From: Bob LaMontagne <rlamont@POSTOFFICE.PROVIDENCE.EDU>

I love this one. You can get undrilled bowing balls fairly cheap at places like
K-Mart. I bought both an 8 lb and a 16 lb ball. They are the same size so you have to
interact with them to tell which is which. I have the students bat the lighter one
with a foam bat to see how it accelerates. After a while I substitute the heavier one
without saying anything. The look of surprise on their faces is priceless - they can
directly feel the effect of doubling the mass.

Ooooooooo...I like this! How much does an undrilled ball go for?

Oddly enough - I saw an ad in the paper at lunchtime. Sports Authority (National chain
store) has them for $39.95. I bought mine a few years ago for about $30 apiece.

Bob at PC

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. 574-284-4662
Associate Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College