FREE ask your students to bring in old ones for extra credit. I have
about 10 now. Makes for a great human suspended Newton's Cradle demo.

Scott

On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 02:26 PM, Joe Heafner wrote:

From: Bob LaMontagne <rlamont@POSTOFFICE.PROVIDENCE.EDU>

I love this one. You can get undrilled bowing balls fairly cheap at
places like
K-Mart. I bought both an 8 lb and a 16 lb ball. They are the same
size so you have to
interact with them to tell which is which. I have the students bat
the lighter one
with a foam bat to see how it accelerates. After a while I substitute
the heavier one
without saying anything. The look of surprise on their faces is
priceless - they can
directly feel the effect of doubling the mass.

Ooooooooo...I like this! How much does an undrilled ball go for?

Cheers,
Joe Heafner - Instructional Astronomy and Physics
Home Page http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/index.html
I don't have a Lexus, but I do have a Mac. Same thing.

This posting is the position of the writer, not that of SUNY-BSC, NAU
or the AAPT.

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy