Re: APS crackpot session

"Frohne, Vickie" wrote:

There is a spirit of openness in the APS. I can't speak for the APS, but as
far as I know, the only requirements for membership are interest in physics
and $$$$.

Right, anybody can join.
http://www.aps.org/memb/joinaps.html

Lots of "hairbrained" papers have been presented at APS meetings.
If you're looking for the abstracts on the APS Web site, it helps to know
that the last session on the last day of an APS meeting is often reserved
for the more creative papers.

Yes, they have crackpot sessions. But they are not
necessarily at the very very end of the conference;
by way of counterexample see
http://www.aps.org/meet/MAR02/baps/abs/S7900.html
which was at 8:00AM on the last day.
The whole program for the Indianapolis meeting is at
http://www.aps.org/meet/MAR02/baps/Program.html

Once upon a time I was the lead-off speaker in the
crackpot session. Bernie Yurke and I had submitted
a paper on how to circumvent the uncertainty principle
and measure a voltage more accurately than sqrt(hbar).
They put us in the session with people who wanted to
circumvent the speed of light.

B Yurke and JS Denker, "Quantum Network Theory"
Phys. Rev. A 29, 1419 (1984);
http://prola.aps.org/toc/PRA/v29/i3