Re: Energy density; the correct one

Bob LaMontagne wrote:

Whoa!

David Rutherford wrote:

W = \int{q*(-d(phi)/dr)*dr}

or

W = \int{q*(-d(phi)}

IMHO - The scond equations is incorrect! - because the second dr in the first
equation is 0.

Please check your local calculus book

(d(phi)/dr)dr = d(phi)

Plug this into the first equation and you'll get the second equation.
The second equation is just as valid as the first and it has no dr's.

Actually performing \int involves a path,

Obviously, not.

not just a change in phi
for reasons independent of dr.

You can change the energy of q by changing potential (by moving other charges),
but it's not work done on q itself, V has changed because of energy input
elsewhere in the q1-field-q2 configuration.

Maybe I'm seeing this totally wrong - I'd appreciate a clarification if I am.

I don't know how I can show you any more clearly. Just look at the
second equation

W = \int{q(-d(phi)}

It says that work does not depend on a path (for a field that is the
gradient of the potential). It only depends on the change in potential.
Therefore, work is done on a particle in keeping it in the same position
if the potential at that position changes, even if the particle doesn't
move.

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"

Applications:
"4/3 Problem Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf
"Action-reaction Paradox Resolution"