Re: Energy density; the correct one

Robert Cohen wrote:

Situation 1. Suppose I hold two equally positively-charged particles, q1 and
q2, a distance r12 apart. If I keep hold of q1 and release q2, q2 flies off
to a place infinitely far away and gains kinetic energy equal to E2. I then
release q1, which stays put since q2 is now infinitely far away. The total
energy of the system is E2.

Situation 2. Suppose I hold two equally positively-charged particles, q1 and
q2, a distance r12 apart. If I release both particles at the same time,
they fly away from each other. When they are infinitely far away from each
other, each has an energy E12. The total energy of the system is 2*E12.

In situation 1, I did no work on either q1 or q2.

Then how did they come to be r12 apart? If you did no work on them, then
somebody (or something) else must have. If they are just sitting there
without you holding them in position, then they will go nowhere when you
"release" them.

--
Dave Rutherford
"New Transformation Equations and the Electric Field Four-vector"

Applications:
"4/3 Problem Resolution"
http://www.softcom.net/users/der555/elecmass.pdf
"Action-reaction Paradox Resolution"