Re: wrong physics explanations-misconceptions

I don't think we ought to get too far into a linquistic discussion of
what we mean by misconceptions, but having said that let me try a
different spin.
The points in these notes are well taken...sad to say we never teach the
truth, just what we currently believe to be true enough and
understandable by our audience...that is the way of the world.

However, given that one goal of science is to create models which
"explain" the greatest range of phenomena with the smallest number of
model axioms, we can at least rank order models by the range of
experience that developed them. Most student misconceptions, or
whatever pc word you want to use are based on local, nonsystematic
observations leading to inferences which are valid, but only locally.

This is quite distinct from ether or the geocentric model of the
universe which were based on extensive systematic investigations and
resulting inferences. In that sense I would not be willing to call them
misconceptions.

By the way, I am not subscribing to a simple minded notion of science.
I realize that all experiments are theory laden etc etc. But I think my
distinction is robust enough to allow a range of views of what science
is.

Regarding respect for others, I agree that no matter whether the data
set is large or small, these models are more or less science in the
sense that they are intelligent inferences based on experiences, and
thus all deserve respectful treatment even as we attempt to separate our
students from them.

I find it very beneficial to eled teachers to tell them that we all do
science all the time...we are always building mental models as we live
our lives. It is just that the capitol s scientific ones have a larger
and mor systematic experience base.

cheers,

joe