Re: corrupted mail

Thomas McCarthy <tmccarthy@SPS.EDU> wrote:

the Outlook Web Access that I use though my school corrupts the message.

Specifically, some software at sps.edu is transmitting
the message in BASE-64 format. For details, look at
the mime headers in the email in your inbox.

This isn't a problem for me because my ISP automagically
decodes BASE-64 into a readable format. But obviously
it is a problem for lots of recipients, including TMcC
himself.

Do you have any idea how I can fix this?

1) Get off your duff this November and elect some government
officials who will actually enforce the laws against
-- illegal selfish behavior by large monopolies, and
-- perjury and contempt of court by corporate officers
-- et cetera.

Remember, elections have consequences. When the Bush
administration came in, they all but abandoned that MS
antitrust case.

2) Get some decent software. Many folks like Eudora for
instance. This will solve a bunch of security problems
as well as usability problems.

3a) Check the settings on your mailer. Preferably set its
encoding behavior to
++ 8-bit, no encoding ... or, failing that, to
++ quoted-printable ... and that is instead of
-- BASE-64 or
-- "monoposoft intelligent encoding"

3b) In addition to checking the MUA (Mail User Agent) on
your computer (e.g. Outlook) get your sysadmin to check
the MTA (Mail Transfer Agent) at your institution (e.g.
Exchange).