Re: another way of corrupting the youth

At 6:07 PM -0400 9/7/02, John S. Denker wrote:
As the saying goes, learning proceeds from the
known to the unknown.

So I wrote up a discussion of complex numbers in
one column, compared to Clifford Algebra in the
other column.

The point being that most of the ideas in
Clifford Algebra can be seen as non-shocking
generalizations of ideas that are already
known from complex numbers, with a little
bit of vector technology thrown in.

http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/complex-clifford.htm

I hate to be a pest and keep requesting the same thing over and over, but I
prefer LaTeX, .dvi, or .pdf (or .ps as a last resort) file formats so I can
read these at my leisure and see the math in its glory. I really am
interested.

Thanks in advance,
Larry

P.S. I'd also like to see a sample/draft of a complete rewriting using GA
of the couple of sections on vectors in the prototypical freshman/sophomore
calculus book. For example, in _Calculus_ 8e by Varberg, Purcell, and
Rigdon which I'm teaching out of right now there are sections
13.2 Vectors in the Plane: Geometric Approach
13.3 Vectors in the Plane: Algebraic Approach
14.2 Vectors in Three-Space
14.3 The Cross Product
etc.
I'd love to see someone attempt a GA approach as a replacement for those
sections, complete with worked out examples. This would be for
3rd-semester calculus students, not for physics grad students.

P.P.S. I find the best intro so far is at
http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/~clifford/ptIIIcourse/course99/ handout #1.