Re: Speed of Gravity

At 11:38 -0700 9/6/02, Polvani, Donald G. wrote:

Would someone please take pity on that part of
"we" that does not know what the author is talking about and provide an
explanation of how the "speed of gravitation" enters the measurement?

Sorry. I'll leave it to the GRists on the list to tell us all how the
speed of gravity enters into the problem, although I suspect that it
has to do with the nature of the interaction of Jupiter's
gravitational field with the photons from the quasar as they pass
near Jupiter (at the speed of light). What I was referring to was the
press-release's references to Jupiter being "near" the quasar, by
which was meant "angularly" near, not physically near, although the
wording made it not at all clear.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell