Re: joule-thompson expansion

Robert Cohen wrote:

Suppose we had two fixed chambers of volume V separated by a stopcock. In
one we place a gas at pressure P and temperature T. The other is evacuated
(P=0). If we turn the stopcock, the gas expands to fill both chambers.
What is the pressure and temperature in the chambers?

Does the answer depend on making certain assumptions?
This problem always seems to get different answers every time I ask it.

Indeed! The temperature change is positive, negative, or zero,
depending on assumptions.

The temperature change is
-- negative for a real gas that is initially below the
J-T inversion temperature,
-- positive above the J-T inversion temperature,
-- zero right at the J-T inversion temperature, and
-- zero always for an _ideal_ gas.

<nit>
Let's assume that the stopcock is a fair approximation of a
Joule-Thompson porous plug, so that the expansion is quasi-static.
(I don't think this is an important assumption, but without
it the expansion is far from equilibrium and one must ask
all sorts of questions about how equilibrium is finally
obtained: does the gas slosh back and forth forever? Does
it radiate sound????)
</nit>

I get 440 hits from
http://www.google.com/search?q=joule-thompson+expansion