Re: multi-step reasoning

Joseph Bellina wrote:

... it seems to me that changing the volume
by definition means that work will be done...so I don't know what it
means to say "if no work is done"

Work is force dot distance, or in this case P dV.

If the (net) pressure is zero, you can have dV without work.

Please refer to the first example in my previous note:
the intake stroke of a fireplace bellows. Arbitrarily
small pressure difference. Arbitrarily small work.