NOT CIRCLES! DRIFT! was (Re: electron circles, or not)

I would hate to credit John with great skill at obfuscation,
because that skill is traditionally reserved for us lawyers. I insist,
however, that the question of circles is quite peripheral, my topic is the
topic of drift in what traditionalists (such as J. D. Jackson) would call
"crossed E and B fields". I promise to return to circles, but the essence
of my question is as follows (describing an idealized J.J. Thompson
apparatus):
Take the y-axis to be the axis of a very long solenoid. The
current, as looked at from the negative end of the axis, circulates
clockwise, creating a uniform magnetic field inside the solenoid. A
uniform electric field inside the solenoid is directed along the positive
x-axis, |E| < |B| . It is known that such an apparatus is a velocity
selector for electrons. Tell me how to quickly argue the
direction of the velocity that is selected by this apparatus without
invoking the right-hand rule. The path of such electrons, by the way,
complete with circles, is shown in Jackson's book, 2d Ed., p. 583.
I don't know if it is ever possible to avoid posing side issues
for a determined and enthusiastically-adversarial advocate to seize upon.

Regards,
Jack
p.s. After we get rid of pseudo-vectors, what name shall we give to the
class of axial-vector mesons, and what shall we call their spin?