Re: rendering HTML - cross-platform font issue?

"Carl E. Mungan" wrote:

> Am I the only one who has difficulty reading JSD's HTML posts? Many
> of the symbols in the equations render incorrectly. Interestingly
> enough, they render differently in IE than in Netscape. I am using
> a Mac (OS 9.2.2 on a G3).

It's not a platform issue. It's a browser issue. I've noticed this
problem in attempting to post study sheets and so forth for classes.

The HTML 4.0 standard apparently calls for abandoning the Symbol font,
and instead using codes for all such characters (see, for example,
<http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/entities/symbols.html>). The
compliance of the most common browsers seems to be:

Netscape 4.7x : renders Symbol font, doesn't render HTML 4.0 codes
(i.e., it hasn't been updated)

Netscape 6.1x : doesn't render Symbol font, but does render HTML 4.0
codes (i.e., strict adherence to the new guidelines)

Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6.x : renders both (typical Microsoft,
maintains backwards compatibility)

My conclusions:
* If you want to write web pages that are up to date, don't use the
symbol font.
* If you want to use Netscape as your browser (as I do), you must choose
your poison.

--
Dr. James McLean phone: (585) 245-5897
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy FAX: (585) 245-5288