DjVu (was: cross-platform font issue)

Kossom wrote:

For what its worth, I can't read the PDFs that John posted.

Nit: Not "posted". Put on web site. Not the same.

Main point: I'm grossed out. PDF allegedly stands for
Portable Document Format. If it's not portable, what
good is it???? See below for something better.

The text was
rendered as a graphic and the resolution isn 't high enough

Not likely. I wanted it to look nice, so I rendered it
at high resolution.

or something in the encoding went wrong.

What encoding? It's just a bitmap. If PDF can't encode
a bitmap, what can it do????? The PDF looks fine on all
my machines. Something is rotten somewhere.

Theoretically, this should all go away when using the
latest iteration of the new international 65K character
fonts called Unicode

Theoretically, yeah -- we just have to wait until everybody
in the intended audience is running a Unicode-capable browser.
Purgatory will have frozen over several times by then.

=================================

I decided to light a candle rather than just cursing the
PDF. I rendered a couple of the documents in DjVu format:
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/degeneracy.djvu
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/rapidity.djvu

You will have to download the viewer plugin for your
browser. It's free. Go to
http://www.lizardtech.com/download/
and click on
Win - Mac - Solaris - MacX - Linux
as appropriate.

Note that DjVu is a really wonderful thing. For example,
rapidity.djvu is about 1/4th the size of rapidity.pdf,
yet has vastly greater image quality. Hit Ctrl-3 to
zoom in and see the quality. And/or hold the Ctrl key
to use the mouse as a magnifying glass.

If you're running Linux, Irix, or Solaris, the compressor
and associated utilities (not just the viewer) are available
for free. That includes source code (not just executables).
http://djvu.sourceforge.net/

For Monoposoft platforms, the viewer plugin is free, but
you have to pay for the compressor.

For more info on what DjVu is and what it's good for, see
http://www.djvuzone.org/