Re: Graphing Calculators and Intro Physics

Tina - As a modeler, I start off each unit with an
experimental investigation. We use the graphing
calculator to do straight-line fits to the data
(either raw or transformed via x-squared, sqrt x,
etc). It is very useful to interpret the goodness of
the fit based on the reasonableness of the
y-intercept. In this vein, it's important to stress
the operational definition of the intercept: the value
of the dependent variable (eg, position) when the
independent variable (eg, time) is zero. Many intro
students have no clue as to the physical significance
of the y-int. The graphing calculator is a great help
in this thought process. John Barrere
--- Tina Fanetti <FanettT@QUEST.WITCC.CC.IA.US> wrote:
Hello all

This pains me to ask, but do any of you incorporate
the use of graphi=
ng calculators into your intro physics class? =20

Our department has 10 or so TI-92 and I was thinking
that if I had th=
e students graph for themselves position, velocity,
and acceleration =
it may make more sense to them. Also they would
have a graph that th=
ey would need to interest.

Does this seems like a good idea? Obviously the
implementation will =
determine if it is really useful but I thought it
might be something =
to try. =20

Thoughts on how to go about this?

Thanks
Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429