Re: dielectric constant

Since I'm not the only recommending books, here's one: Optical Absorption
and Dispersion in Solids (J.N. Hodgson -- my disst, Prof. -- actually a
senior lecturer). It's a short (138 pp.) simple (mainly classical, does
discuss joint density of states) book, but includes topics not mentioned in
this thread.

bc

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

I had in mind common solid dielectrics which happen to
be transparent. If I had two omegas (resonant frequencies)
surrounding a region in which the so-called "normal"
dispersive curve (n versus lambda) is known, then I would
try to invent damping coefficients (two adjustable constants)
matching the curve. According to JohnD this should be
possible. In fact, I suspect that only one omega (in the UV)
may be sufficient. Does anybody know the value of the
UV omega for fused SiO2? Or for any kind of glass?
Ludwik Kowalski

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

In revisiting the question of optical constants I noticed in Hecht that
He disobeys Ludwik's rule. I followed this to a CRC Hdb. and found
Ar also violates Ludwik's law.

bc

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

I am puzzled by the fact that the the index of refraction
calculated as the sqr(dielectric_constant) is always
larger, typically by a factor of 2 or 3, than what is
measured in optics. To remove the inconsistency I
would have to assume that the index of refraction
at optical frequencies is much lower than what it is
in electrostatics. Why is it so?
Ludwik Kowalski