Re: dielectric constant

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

I suspect that only one omega (in the UV)
may be sufficient.

Not likely. UV absorption is due to electron resonances.
A typical material has lots of electrons, in similar but
not identical environments.

Typically there is an "edge" with no absorption below the
edge, and absorption at many frequencies above the edge.

Does anybody know the value of the
UV omega for fused SiO2? Or for any kind of glass?

Here's a downloadable program to calculate absorption.
Apparently includes a database of materials, including SiO2.
http://spectra.fromru.com/

Also I'm told the book
Kingery, Bowen, and Uhlmann _An Introduction to Ceramics_
has absorption data.

I would try to invent damping coefficients

That's for sure. If you're off-resonance, the effect of
any nearby resonance(s) depends strongly on Q.