Re: Problems in Education

Mike,

I appreciated your careful and sober response to my comments regarding the
"two hour rule of thumb".

I agree with almost all you wrote below, particularly when the it is
regarded as a "guideline" and stressed as such. I also like what you said
the OSU catalog stated, meaning that this is time often required to maintain
a C in a course, mileage does vary of course.

It certainly is a useful guideline for sobering up students who think an
hour a day (total) is sufficient.

Joel Rauber

Joel Rauber's statement, "... it takes as much time outside
of class as is
necessary" is the obvious connection between class time and
homework time.
Certainly some students require more time than others, and
certainly some
types of courses require more time than others.

The rule of thumb "two hours out of class for each hour in
class" is helpful
in three ways... one is for the student, another is for the
professor, and
the third is for the college/university.