Re: Lectures and written communications

At 10:57 AM 5/29/02, Rick wrote:
Robert Cohen wrote:

> By the way, I responded back that my question wasn't answered
> and I rephrased my question but received no response.

I suspect that a finite set of "statements" for an anticipated range
of queries related to the company's products has been approved by the
corporation's legal department. The person (or perhaps the computer
program) responding to your question may have selected the most clos
ely related statement from that set based on key phrases in your ques
tion, along with the boilerplate intro and closing.

Rick Strickert
Austin, TX

I recently interviewed for a senior position for which the job
requirement profile had been tailored for another person -
that is to say, I had no illusions.

It was interesting that I was prompted on the desirabilty of using stock
forms where feasible - apparently to avoid the 'Law of Unexpected
Consequences'. This is a lawyer's nightmare, as it seems: unexpected
readings of a letter, but especially of an email, can give totally unwanted
offense.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!