Re: phase diagrams, partial pressure, etc.

Robert Cohen wrote:
pressure of the substance at equilibrium, no?)

Then I wrote:
P means pressure. I don't see what's confusing about that.

Well, contrary to my earlier thoughts (sorry!), I suspect this
_is_ a source of confusion. In particular, on the phase
diagram P denotes the pressure of _the substance_ by itself,
or in more complicated situations the !!partial!! pressure
of that substance.

and I'll ask some other students the following question:

The air pressure in the room is 1 atm. The temperature is 20C. Which
phases of water can exist in the room? Choose all that apply.
A. Solid
B. Liquid
C. Gas

Would this be sufficient to evaluate the validity of my concern?

Point taken. Yes, I predict you'll catch a bunch who can't
recognize the difference between
Ptotal = 1atm
and
Ppartial = 10 torr of water.

PS to avoid unnecessary confusion, you might want to clarify
the question:
-- phases that exist in equilibrium?
-- phases that exist temporarily, out of equilibrium?