Re: Blackboard

BlackBoard is very popular with administrators. It is probably one of the
best course management systems. It includes features for assessment (i.e.
online homework, quizzes, tests, etc.); however, it is generations behind
other assessment systems such as WebAssign (webassign.net). I recommend
using BlackBoard for what it does best (course management, posting syllabi,
etc.) and an assessment system such as WebAssign for what it does best
(homework, tests, etc.).

BlackBoard basically integrates technologies such as bulletin boards, chat
rooms, assessment, posting of web pages, email, etc. If you know how to
create/post web pages yourself, if you use an assessment system like
WebAssign, and if you have those other tools already available, then
BlackBoard is unneeded. Otherwise, it can be useful although it will not
necessarily work as well as many of those standalone tools by themselves.

I encourage you to think about what technologies you need to teach the way
you wish to teach. Chances are that a lot of what BlackBoard offers will
not be needed. Let the needs of the learners determine the technology
tools you need, rather than using technology because it's neat, new, and/or
exciting.

I hope that helps.

AT