Re: Question about light and heat

At the risk of bringing upon myself the wrath of the
list, I have to express my complete dismay at reading
posts from a college instructor of physics who writes
like one of my high school students. Is it because I'm
a grouchy hexagenarian that I find the phrases "like",
"totally", and "like, totally" painful?

A fascinating article by David W. Orr appeared in
the Winter, 2000 - 2001 issue of the _American Educator_.
The author claims that, over the past 50 years, the working
vocabulary of the average 14-year old has declined from 25,000
words to 10,000 words. The author's position is as vocabulary
is reduced, the ability to think - to form ideas - is also reduced.

"Because we cannot think clearly about what we cannot say
clearly, the first casualty of linguistic incoherence is our ability
to think well about many things."

Interesting, if so.

Wes Davis