Re: grades, assessments, etc.

At one time I thought negatively of "teaching to the test".
However, I now simply look at it from a different
perspective. My goal for assessment is to "test what I
teach". There should absolutely be a match between what is
being taught and what is being tested. This is why course
objectives are so important. The same objectives that are
used to guide what is taught should be used to create the
test.

But should I never teach something I won't test on. It
seems to me there are subtopic which have some
importance, but I would'nt test on it just to keep the time
of testing down.