Re: Advice for Tina and other rookies...

Rick has two points below.

The north central accrediting is currently on an "assesments" kick. I have
often thought this was unecessary as the course grades "should" provide an
assesment of whether or not the student has learned and achieved what is
supposed to be learned and achieved.

The local supporters of "assesment" point out that you no longer can trust
grades to provide such an assesment, hence the need for other assesment
instruments. I interpret this to mean that because of grade inflation we
need other "grade-like" assesment instruments. Thus adding a whole new
layer of paper work that we as faculty and administrators have to produce.

The other point regarding how to turn-around grade inflation. I saw on the
news a few weeks ago a piece on grade-inflation at colleges. They claimed
that Dartmouth now puts on the transcripts not only your grade for a class,
but the average grade of that class as well.

I think this is a good idea and think it would be helpful if accrediting
agencies started requiring such a practice in transcripts. I think this
would be a kinder gentler approach (even if less effective) to addressing
the problem, rather than mandating certain grade averages, one does have
classes that are significantly better than average, particularly for smaller
ones at the advanced level (the other side of the coin is present as well).

I think a transcript should show grades in classes, average grade for that
class, a cumulative GPA and a four year moving average of graduating GPA for
students in all majors offered by a single department. Its not a perfect
idea and has flaws, but it would be helpful to those who look at transcripts
and need to draw conclusions. Also, it would be more honest than current
practice.

Joel Rauber