Re: Homework (Was Measure of student understanding)

At 19:55 -0400 4/29/02, Joe Heafner wrote:

Maybe I'm just being overly naive (won't be the first time), but it
seems to me that if we know a better way then WHY don't we implement
it?

I just don't get it.

In words of one syllable: mon-ey.

Good education costs money, and as a society we have not yet learned
to put long-range goals (getting well-prepared young adults into the
work force) ahead of short-term goals (minimizing our tax bill at all
costs). Not even the huge disparity between the cost of educating a
student and the cost of keeping a prisoner seems to have any effect.
We don't seem to be able to make the connection between education and
crime, I guess because the causal link is several years long.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto://haskell@ncssm.edu>