From: "FOUAD AJAMI" <ajami@NETCOM.CA>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: Homework (Was Measure of student understanding)

Here is one more variable whose effect has not been sufficiently studied.
Or
has it?

When I was a student, in the mid fifties, I estimate that one third to one
half of students going into science or engineering had some background in
some aspect of science: building a stereo system, using a manual SLR
camera,
and developing one's films, repairing cars, building boats, etc. (even
Meccano sets would do the trick). Those who did not do these things soon
decided to get into them to keep up (peer pressure).
Today, the successors of these scientifically aware students are probably
computer hackers. Outside this field, fewer students have the possibility
of
having a serious scientific hobby.
This lack of scientific sense does affect the classroom, in that
everything
has to be explained.
Personally, my introduction to Mechanics, Forces and Thermo was observing
steam locomotives and a stationary steam generator in a nearby factory.

Fouad Ajami
Physics Department
Champlain College
St Lambert, Qc, Canada