Re: Test Writing

Some suggestions:

If you are only testing conceptual knowledge--no problem solving--then get
away from tests and go to weekly quizzes. Before giving the quiz, allow
questions--answer them even if they ask something on the quiz. If they miss
questions that cover important content/concepts, then ask them again the
following week (change the question somewhat, but keep asking until they get
it). Go over the quiz answers immediately after the quiz--quickly.

Weekly quizzes keep students current--no cramming.
Your questions can be focused on the last week of material.
Allowing a question time before the quiz is the _one_ time that you will
have the interest of most students.
The subject matter on the quizzes forms the basis set for the final--if it
was important enough for the quiz it is probably important enough for the
final.

My Gen-Ed course has no tests, but 12 quizzes (best 10 count). We also have
a paper or project, lab books, one or two homework assignments (usually
mini-projects), and the final. Since the 2nd semester course focuses on
energy, I have a major project that both interests the students and gets
them involved in researching technical topics. Last year's project can be
viewed at: http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--AIR TABLE now available.
XP compatible upgrades and CD-ROM available