Re: Student demonstration in Magnetism

Tina Fanetti wrote:

One of my students would like to do a demonstration in
physics class.

Good.

He wants to show how you can magnetically levitate a wire.

OK.

I have no idea how to do this. I can solve the formulas
and get numbers. He has done this and has come up with
needing a current of 99 A. I don't think so.

It depends on what you mean by "need".

For a big fat wire in a wimpy field, you might need 99 amps
or even 999 amps. But this is a highly conditional need.

So use a smaller wire. The current-carrying capacity goes like
cross-sectional area. But the mass per unit length goes also
like cross-sectional area. So if you can levitate a fat wire
using 99 amps, you can levitate a skinnier wire with a more-
reasonable current.

It also depends on the magnetic field strength. Using a weak
field (such as the geomagnetic field) any ordinary wire will
burn itself up before levitating. But in a strong field, you
can produce more than enough force for levitation. Think of
the voice-coil in a speaker: it accelerates at many, many Gees.
Levitation requires only one Gee.