Re: Student demonstration in Magnetism

There is a commercial device, called a coulomb balance, which also
comes with a set of wires configured in a loop, that is called a
current balance. Basically, it is simply the parallel wires demo. It
sounds like this is what you are describing.

The current balance sets a fixed current in each of two parallel arms
(one above the other), and set up for repulsion. You counter this
current by setting small weights on the upper wire (which has a small
plate attached for this purpose. The upper wire loop is supported on
one side by needle point adjusting screws. There is a counter weight
with adjustable screw (like on a scale pan balance) to zero the
balance. Thus, you "weigh" the force of repulsion of the parallel
wires. Karl

One of my students would like to do a demonstration in physics class.=
He wants to show how you can magnetically levitate a wire. I have=
no idea how to do this. I can solve the formulas and get numbers. =
He has done this and has come up with needing a current of 99 A. I d=
on't think so.

Any thoughts? Is it doable?

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429

--
Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk (512) 471-4152
Lecture Demonstration Office Office (512) 471-5411