Re: standing waves

It has been pointed out that for a good fork, higher modes (not harmonics)
will quickly damp out. How the fork is made (home-made is fun on the school
milling machine) and where it is struck and with what it is struck make all
the difference. An interesting low-tech exploration can be done with nested
tubes that can be quickly adjusted. Similarly an array of slightly
different quarter-wave resonance tubes (tube with a sliding styrofoam plug)
can be used for the exploration, including end corrections in the
calculations. Try hard and soft hammers on different parts of the tine.
Vernier's LabPro/LoggerPro combination is a favorite tool for this and
other acoustical investigation. In this way, one can see the struck tine
teach the other tine what to do and what two forks do just before they
settle down to a consistent beat. A picture on the screen is worth a LOT of
words when it comes to making waves.
Tom Ford