Re: standing waves

Savinainen Antti wrote

Hello,

I have question on standing waves. I have undestood that standing waves
(fundamental and higher harmonics) are produces on any object that is set onto
vibration. ...

In addition to what John Denker wrote regarding the frequencies seen
when a tuning fork is struck, you should be aware that not all sound
sources are "harmonic" by which I mean that the overtones are
multiples of the fundamental frequency.

Percussion instruments like bells have overtones which are NOT
multiples of the fundamental, and are not really "harmonic"
instruments. Neither is a tuning fork. However if properly struck the
fundamental will have by far the largest amplitude, and the resulting
sound should be predominantly one frequency

"For a metal bar clamped at one end the first three transverse
vibration modes are at f, 6.27 f, and 17.55 f." {The Acoustical
Foundations of Music, John Backus, Norton Press 1969}
--
Dr. Vern Lindberg New Area Code Nov 15 585- 716-475-2546
Department of Physics Fax 475-5766

Windows NT crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams.