Re: still need help with Plotting periodic properties on aspreadsheet/graph

Tom,

What I was suggesting is NOT including group
number or period but just to lay out the
ionization energies in a 2-D array as they appear
on a period table. If one excludes the rare earth
and transition elements you would enter something
like:

13.6 24.5
5.63 9.28 8.25 11.2 14.5 13.6 17.3 21.5
5.1 7.6 5.96 8.12 10.9 10.3 13.0 15.7
. . .
. . .
. . .

These being the ionization elements for
H He
Li Be B C N 0 F Ne
Na Mg Al Si P S Cl A
. . .
. . .
. . .

Thanks
Roger Haar

thomas pfeiffer wrote:

I have excel 97 and had no problem making a
3D
"topo" plot.
For your needs just enter the 2D array of
ionization energies ( rows of same period, columns
of same group). Next highlight these numbers and
select the graph wizard and from there select
surface plot.

Thanks for responding.

That's exactly what I've tried, but I must be missing
something. My 3 vertical columns are group #, IE, and
period number. I'm trying to get grp# on the x axis,
IE on the y axis and period number on the z axis
(coming out at you).

For example:
A B C
grp IE per
1
2
3
4
5

What I end up with is the numbers that run along the
left side of the spread sheet on one of the axes,
which is NOT what I want. I know I must be doing
something wrong, I just don't know what.

Any thoughts? If you know how to set it up, could you
do a rudimentary sketch of it in your mail as I have
done with my set-up? Thanks.

Tom