Re: Ball Lightning

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Old Sci. Am article reported on ball lightning, which I presume is the same as
discussed. Only detail I remember was the report by a reputable Victorian that
its dissipation in a container of water brought it to boiling, thereby the
article writer calculated its energy.

There's ICBL, which was just in St. Louis last summer. The abstracts are
at http://home.wxs.nl/~icblsec/frameset.html?pg_abstracts.html

A fairly large number of BL reports occur in good weather with no storms
in sight. Since the lifetime of the events are usually on the order of
seconds (can't drift far), it seems that we probably don't even suspect
the mechanism behind some of them.

And there's an unverified report of a person being killed by a large one
in 1984:

http://amasci.com/weird/unusual/bl.html

billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 sciclub-list freenrg-L vortex-L webhead-L