Re: Flame Tube...again

Dwight -- the flame table idea has been published in the AJP (don't
remember off hand the reference). I have built a circular (actually,
toroid) flame tube with one speaker. In this case the boundary
conditions are that, for constructive interference of the sound
inside the toroid, the pressure in front of the speaker is the same
as behind -- i.e., any standing wave has to close on itself at the
speaker location. This allows for only an integral number of
wavelengths around the circle, which is the same condition of
deBroglie waves around an electron orbit in an atom. So, it's a cute
visualization of the deBroglie's condition of n(lambda) = 2(pi)r.
Besides, it looks like a giant birthday cake (it's about 1 meter in
diameter). Wolfgang

Thanks again for all of the replies! I was just thinking of some new
ideas and was wondering if anyone has tried them.

One idea of the flame tube is to mount a speaker at both ends of the
tube hooked up to different wave generator. Possibly making it capable
of seeing different interference patterns.

The other idea is instead of making a flame tube, but make a flame
table...almost like an air-hockey table. I'm wondering if it would be
possible of getting similar effects as a wave table using water.

I doubt I'd try the flame table...for safety reasons, but I may consider
the 2-speaker flame tube and see what happens. Any thoughts/suggestions
on this?

Dwight Souder
Ashland, OH