Re: Solar balloons

I've sent out quite a few of my plans. They are now available in Adobe Acrobat
Reader (thanks Colin!). So far, I've had 3 emails stating that they were
undeliverable, so I'm going to try again. Eventually, I'll have them up on my
website so that everyone else can use them.

One fun note about this. Yesterday was the first decent day of flying them, so I
took my physics students outside. The students had an absolute thrill watching
them fly up. Some of the balloons were 20-30 segments long (each segment was a 33
gallon trash bag). The students video-taped it and played it on this morning
announcements. Unfortunately, it was also caught on tape of one the kite strings
breaking and watching one of them fly off into the distance. The one that got
away was a traditional shaped balloon, about 7' tall and 5' wide and was last seen
flying west or north west. So if anyone in Indiana, Michigan or Illinois see a
strange black flying object in the sky...please let me know. :)

One student calculated how many trash bags it would take to lift them off the
ground...roughly 800 trash bags. :) I enjoy it when they take this projects one
step further.

Dwight Souder
Ashland, OH