Re: Thermal Energy - thermalization of rotational energy

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Michael Edmiston wrote:

At this point we have John saying bulk rotational energy
cannot be thermalized without an outside interaction. We have
Bob saying it happens all the time and he invokes entropy
arguments.

I don't think Bob and I really disagree. It is ultimately a
semantic issue. Bulk rotational energy can change. It can
increase (as in stellar formation) and it can decrease (as in the
transition to a red giant phase or in a supernova. Furthermore,
when it decreases, some of it *may* end up being converted to what
I would call thermal energy. Nevertheless, I would still say that
*the* bulk rotational energy of a system cannot be thermalized
without external interactions since, to me, thermalization would
require that it fluctuate around some value that could be
identified as 3/2 kT as with any other thermalized mode of energy
storage involving three degrees of freedom.

John's reminder that we can connect bulk rotational energy to
angular momentum about the center of mass is agood one:
rotational KE = L^2/2I.

I guess I was thinking that thermalization would include
transfer of bulk rotation about the center of mass into
rotation of individual components. But if angular momentum is
conserved (because of no outside interactions) then the total
L^2/2I doesn't change.

Be careful; the angular momentum can't change, but the rotational
inertia certainly can.

John is saying this with an equation and Hugh is saying it
with words. So I think both are convincing me that
condensation of rotating matter into a solar system is not a
thermalization process.

I'd basically agree with that. More specifically, I'd say that
the condensation of a solar system involves an enormous loss of
gravitational potential energy with lots of it converted to a
still mechanical form (i.e., rotational energy) and at least some
of it converted into thermal form.

So, is that the key here? Thermalization is not just the transfer of
macroscopic motion into microscopic motion... but also requires the
microscopic motion be random? If so, I can live with that, but I am not
sure I was alone in viewing simple transfer from macroscopic to microscopic
as a thermalization process.

Again I think it is to some extent a matter of semantics. But on
another issue, I do have a problem with what seems to me to be a
far too casual use of the word "random" in this thread. Even if
one had a very large ensemble of objects with "randomly" arranged
energies, I would *definitely* not be willing to characterize the
energy as "thermal" unless they had been interacting for a "long
enough" time and had reached "thermal equilibrium." In other
words, thermal energy should require a *very* specific kind of
"randomness"--a Boltzmann distribution. Another way of saying the
same thing is to say that the energy content in *all* modes should
fluctuate in a way that is compatible with being characterized by
a *single* temperature.

Wouldn't another criterion for something being "thermalized"
be whether the process could be reversed? Once angular
momentum has distributed itself from the bulk rotation of the
cloud to rotations of individual planets, can it go back to
the bulk again? I guess it can do that when the star goes
supernova.

Going supernova will radically reduce the bulk rotational energy
at the same time that it radically increases the gravitational
potential energy. I guess I'm not sure what happens to the
"thermal energy" in the process. You might suspect that it would
increase, but it certainly isn't necessary.