Re: Thermal Energy - thermalization of rotational energy

Bob Sciamanda might be correct that we are in a semantic mire. But I didn't
think the mire was murky enough to allow systems with brakes, etc.

In mentioning astronomy examples I was trying to think of systems that
thermalize rotational energy "all by themselves" without any features (like
brakes) that are obviously designed to transfer rotational energy of the
whole into rotational energy of the parts or into random translational
energy.

I almost said that brakes on a car exhibit an intelligent design to convert
rotational energy to thermal energy but distribution of rotational energy
throughout planets and moons exhibits thermalization of rotational energy
without exhibiting an intelligent-design mechanism to do this. But then I
realized I might start an intelligent-design evolution discussion. So in
the end I decided not to say this.

Oh well, let's go ahead and say it. Can an isolated system, on it own,
without intelligence or intelligently-rigged devices, convert non-random
rotational energy into a more random form of energy? If we sidestep the
intelligent-design evolution discussion, it seems astrophysics offers
examples of this. Gravity provides the coupling that enables this.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817