Re: B and electric charge

Dear Professor Kowalski-

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Hi .... (I used to address you as Jack but you are addressing
me by the title. Should I start doing the same? I hope not.)

Please address me as you would any other student.

I said "measure the speed and calculate" the elctric current of
a known charge. I did not say "measure the magnetic effect"
of such current. But I know that others have done this about
a century ago.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought we were doing something
equivalent to the way we discovered coulomb's law. What do I learn from
calculating the current? And what does this have to do with magnetism?

Jack

Let us exagerate and assume that B=1T, that the net Q on
your long rod is 10 nC/m and that you can push the rod with
the speed of 2 m/s. How large is the convection current?
Assuming the stick is pushed along its axis the current is
20 nA. The expected force on the magnet is very small. How
large is the current of the classroom Van de Graaff belt ?
Ludwik Kowalski

Jack Uretsky wrote:

Dear Professor Kowalski-
Thank you for telling me about convection currents. Just
to see how your experiment worked, I rubbed a long plastic tube with
a handkerchief until it was electrified enough to make some scotch tape
move. Then I waved the tube real hard under a refrigerator magnet that
was suspended by a thread. The magnet didn't move until I hit it by
accident. I don't think that's what you meant.
My friend Linda said that it's the v/c that counts. But she's
just a girl, so what does she know? I mean about plastice tubes and
stuff like that. She's really pretty smart about some things.
Your student,
Jack