Re: Entropy and states of matter

At 13:16 27 02 2002 , you wrote:
Regarding:

>>> Specifically, that means
>>>that the entropy in a region X cannot decrease _except_
>>>by entropy-flow across the boundary of region X.
>>
>>Wow! "Entropy flow"!
>
>So entropy is stuff now too?

Having the ability to flow and being 'stuff' are two *different*
things.

Larry is quite correct here. The above holds only in the minds of those who
refuse to reformulate their thinking. In the minds of our students, if it
flows, it is stuff -- or at least reified in some sense. Using this sort
of thinking pedagogically is damaging to the students.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen