From: "D.V.N.Sarma" <narayana@HD1.VSNL.NET.IN>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 12:52 AM
Subject: Argument of wavefunction

Here is question concerning pedagogy.

While teaching reflection of waves at boundaries some books
use sin(kx-wt) as the argument and some use sin(wt-kx) as the
wave function. If we use sin(wt-kx) we get the amplitude of the
reflected wave A(R)=(k1-k2)A(I)/(k1+k2) where ks are the
propagation constants. If k2>k1 this equation automatically
tells you that A(R) has opposite sign to that of A(I) the incident
amplitude. This I think is preferable because it allows the student
to understand the phase change of the reflected wave from the
boundary of medium of greater impedance. If we take sin(kx-wt)
this does not come directly.

What are the experiences of the list members regarding this.

regards,

Sarma.