Re: Entropy and states of matter

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Jim Green wrote:

John, here is another example where an unhelpful view of "heat" distracts
from good pedagogy. If one talks about "heat escaping" from the
condensate, it just confuses students.

Jim,

Do you have evidence to support this statement? I understand very
well your philosophical position on this matter, but I am highly
skeptical of this assertion.

Wouldn't it be more helpful to say ... [as] the gas condenses
negative work is done on the molecules and hence their energy
level decreases and so does the entropy of the condensate. In
the process positive work is done on the ambient gas and hence
it's energy level increases and so does the entropy.

Well, no, I *really* don't think so. Do *you*?