Re: Surface waves on water

Let us assume that there is water with uniform depth
(>lambda). The energy is propagated through certain
width (which perpendicular to both the direction of
propagation and the surface) of the water.The amplitude
will be inversely proportional to the sqrt(r) only if this width
is constant. But it is reasonable to assume that this width
is a function of the amplitude, in which case it will not be a
constant but depends on the amplitude at the location.
Assuming that this width is a linear function of amplitude at
the location the power will be proportional to the cube and not
square of the amplitude at the point under consideration.
This leads to the result that the amplitude varies inversely
as the cbrt(r) rather than the sqrt(r) where r is the distance
from the source.

regards,

Sarma.