Re: Conceptual Tests

At 16:18 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
Hello
My boss wants me to give a presentation on the assesment of students =
I have done. I have used the Force and Motion Conceptual Evaluation.=
She has seen this and has told me it is invalid for my student popu=
lation. THe reason: the questions are too long and wordy since my p=
opulation is half non-native students.=20

SO the question is Has there been any research into how non-native sp=
eakers of english do on these conceptual evaluation.

Also, she doenst want conceptual evaluations. She wants them to work=
problems. I tell her that is not where the research is pointing but=
she says that conceptual is unfair.

I dunno, I ask you

Tina

Tina Fanetti

This is an exceptionally cogent criticism - if it is true that tests
of the F & MCE are more wordy than other tests.
If there are conceptual tests which are LESS wordy than comparable tests
then you can be properly remorseful in respect of unconscious
discrimination and express a wish to move to the more graphical or brief ones.