Regulating textbooks

I was waiting for someone else to respond to Bernard Cleyet's (sp?) assertion that people get what they deserve as a reason not to involve the Federal government.  That sounds more like an ideological position than a contribution from someone committed to our profession.

John Clement made some interesting proposals along this line but no one responded directly.

So here are some possible modest proposals for Congress:

#  Require all state textbook criteria to conform to NSF-established guidelines.

#  Abolish all State textbook commissions.

#  Require that one person of standing in their profession take public responsibility for each science text from the first grade level up.

#  Require that the science textbook committee of each State textbook commission contain a Ph.D. physicist, chemist and biologist.

#  Abolish textbooks.

#  Pass a resolution specifying that the children of each state shall get what they deserve, the details to be decided by Addison Wesley and Prentice Hall in consultation with the Moral Majority.

8-)

Chris

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Christopher A. Horton, Ph.D.
4158 RR#3 (Hwy. 204)
Amherst, NS B4H 3Y1
CANADA
ChrisAHorton2@hotmail.com
(902) 447-2109

"Many discoveries are reserved for ages still to come, when memory of us will have been effaced.  Our universe is a sorry little affair unless it has in it something for every age to investigate ... Nature does not reveal her mysteries once and for all."
- Seneca, "Natural Questions", first century, quoted by Carl Sagan in "Cosmos", p.xi.