Olympics curling question

Anyone know what kind of pad is worn on the shoes of those participating in the curling competition?  They slide with less friction than I would expect from a simple flat leather sole.  Is it anything special?

What's the theory on the brushing?  Are they making enough heat to melt the ice a little bit?  Is it just a matter of smoothing or roughing up the surface?  Would the stone curl without the brushing?  I have been thinking on this off an on for a couple of days but have not come up with explanations that satisfy.
Cliff Parker

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.  Niels Bohr