Re: Writing Physics Labs Part 2

Suggestions on writing a lab. I (and others) call them exploratory and
application. In an exploratory lab you are trying to get the students to
discover relationships, concepts or maybe even detailed equations. In
application labs you are trying to get the students to apply concepts and
relationships to a new situation or to confirm an already well known
value or relationship.

For exploratory labs first decide what you would like the students to
learn. Help guide them to the concept by giving them hints (some times
VERY BIG hints) on what they should measure. Help them find
relationships between the variables. When they discover the
relationships (even if it is not very quantitative or even if they can't
put it into math form) help them to condense it by giving the variables
the accepted scientific names and symbols. Coach them to get the
equations.

In application labs first decide on what concept to apply. Give students
things that can demonstrate the concepts and ask them to do the necessary
measurements and compare their results to normally accepted values.

When possible, do not make the labs "cookbook". The students will simply
follow the directions and fill in the boxes without understanding
anything. I start the course with labs that have detailed directions but
very seldom give them a data table, only hints on what the columns on the
data table should be. I gradually give them less detailed directions so
by the end of the year I can give them simple directions like "This is a
pendulum (demonstrate). The period is the time it takes for the pendulum
to go from point A to point B and back to point A again. Make a pendulum
and find a relationship that will predict the period." Anyone who passes
my course is able to determine that T=k*sqrt(lenght). Some will even be
able to make the connection that k contains a factor of 2*pi.

Writing labs is not an easy process. Good labs take many modifications.
Good lab experiences requires careful and detailed questioning techniques
by the teacher. It is too easy to just give them the answers. In my
opinion, a good lab experience requires the teacher to ask questions that
lead the students to discover concepts for themselves. BTW, this might
drive some administrators nuts. The first time my new principle observed
me in the classroom all he could do is make a chart of how many groups I
visited. He was amazed that I was able to ask so many questions and keep
so many students on task without detailed instructions. He has had two
children go through my program and has observed me many times since.
These two children with very different learning styles have been very
successful in college, the older one is now in medical school. They come
back to see me a couple of times each year and I often hear comments from
Dad that I "made them learn, just doing it wasn't good enough". If you
want to learn these techniques, try the Modeling Workshops I told you
about. I know your school won't pay for your travel or for your course
fees. Mine doesn't either. In our school a good leave opportunity
allows you to keep health insurance by paying my own share and maybe a
pat on the back for spending one's own money to improve educational
opportunities at the school.

Tina Fanetti wrote:

How do I write a physics lab? I am real serious here. Most of our l=
ab equipment comes from Pasco which comes with sample experiments. H=
owever some of our equipment doesnt.

--
Arlyn DeBruyckere
Science Teacher